Thursday 24 March 2011

The hidden costs of skating

I carefully considered the cost of my new skates and blades.  What I didn't consider was the amount I'd then spend on trying to stop them mutilating my feet! 
  • Felt padding - stuck it to the skates on the top and the edges of the tongue, not terribly effective
  • Blister plasters - stuck to my skin where the boots rub at the tops, during a 30 minute lesson they got rubbed right off, useless
  • Foam circle things like corn pads but for your ankles - not that easy to keep in position as they don't stick to anything.
  • Bandage - not actually for the rubbing but for support after I hurt my foot doing too many off ice jumps, well it was an extra layer between boot and skin!
  • Voltarol painease gel - I use this regularly on my feet (not suitable for broken skin or blisters), to help with aching feet, it does help to numb the pain.
On the same theme, a trip to the rink doesn't just cost the patch money (£4), club (£5), or lesson (£16 plus patch). It's the bus fare, a drink (although I'm usually good and take squash from home), second breakfast when I get to work because I can't last from 5am til lunchtime, snacks, etc.

A competition isn't just the dress and the entry fees, it's the extra lessons, tights, food and drink on the day, a ridiculously overpriced but essential competition hoody, makeup, hairspray, flowers and toys to throw on for your friends, photos, laces with diamonte on them (I resisted these without too much difficulty, mainly cause I couldn't bear the thought of unlacing and relacing my skates, also i think they're pretty tacky), new soakers, new leggings etc.

I think this is why I find it so hard to budget. I budget for the direct costs, but forget the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment