Tuesday 18 January 2011

I did that!

Since I got into figure skating I've discovered that I get overenthusiastic to the point where people tend to either go along with me or humour me to get me to shut up. Plus, I've always been a bit of an obsessive geek.

My rink is having their Open competition next month. There's no adult category, but I decided before the announcement even came out that I wanted to enter. I want my first proper competition to be at my home rink, where I know tons of people, and save the cost of travelling to another rink.

Before even mentioning it to my coach, I contacted the National Ice Skating Association (NISA) to see whether it was even possible for me to compete against kids. I couldn't find a rule that said that it wasn't allowed, but I wanted to have confirmation in case anyone kicked up a fuss. NISA said it was fine, no problem. So when the entry forms came out, I asked my coach and she said I could enter, so I did.

And then the overenthusiastic side took over... and because of me, there are four adults entering the beginner class. It might not sound like much, but two are even travelling from another rink to take part. My rink is gaining a reputation for being open and supportive of adult skating (even though there's nothing stopping adults entering any Open Competition they want to). I get to compete and not be the only person over fifteen years old. And other adults get to compete as well!

I won't win the competition. I only have salchow, toe loop, upright spin and a very basic step sequence. I lack grace, co-ordination, rhythm and natural talent. But I feel like I achieved something already. I saw something I wanted to do and I took the initiative, and got other people involved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment