Monday 31 January 2011

I know!

I'm a slow learner, okay? That means my coach will have to tell me the same thing a million times before I manage to do it. It's not that I don't understand what she wants from me, it's that I have a hard time communicating this to the rest of my body and persuading it to actually co-operate. So when she tells me my crossovers are still scratchy I respond: "I know". It's not that I'm brushing off what she's saying, it's that I know what I should be doing and I'm frustrated that it's not happening. I think (hope!) that my coach understands this.

It's harder with a coach who doesn't teach you all the time. They might think they're telling you something new, whereas in fact you've heard nothing else for the last three months. You have to remember they're trying to help, and watch them try to hide their disappointment when you fail to miraculously correct what you're doing wrong. It's easy to forget that they don't see you struggle with the same thing over and over and over and OVER again. They don't know that you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing but just can't do it. So be nice and say thank you, even if you say "I know" as well.

"Don't drag your toe rake on the wind up to the spin" says well meaning coach coach. "I know" says I. And I still do it in the next spin. And the next. And the next. "A bit better," says well meaning coach, but I can hear the doubt in his voice. Don't worry dude, my coach will be telling me the same thing for the rest of eternity!

No comments:

Post a Comment