Thursday 3 February 2011

Imagining a life without skating

I've been skating for two years, and in that time it's become probably the most important thing in my life. What if I'd never taken to the ice..?

Sleep!
  • I wouldn't have to get up at 5am several times a week
  • But I wouldn't appreciate that 7am is actually a lie in
  • I wouldn't have developed a napping habit
Friends
  • Most of the people I care most about I know through skating. Without skating, I'd pretty much just have family, work colleagues and my flatmate.
  • Outside the rink I mainly talk to people roughly my own age. Inside the rink I talk to people of all ages.
Fitness
  • I'm unfit now!
  • If I didn't skate I would have zero exercise
  • I wouldn't have any incentive to improve my flexibility
  • On the plus side, I wouldn't have hurt my hip on a stupid three turn! Or hurt my knee attempting the splits...
Fun
  • Glitter!!! Imagine a world without glitter spray... terrible!
  • I wouldn't have had the brilliant experience of taking part in an ice show and the chaos, frustration, achievement, fun, and more chaos that this involves.
  • The best times I've had in the last year and a half have been with people I met through skating.
Money
  • I would actually have some!
  • Although I never seemed to have that much before skating anyway, I guess I just found crap to spend it on that now I realise I don't reeeeeally need (or else I need but skating is more important!)
  • My annual bonus would be to buy myself something pretty, not already earmarked for new skates and blades (which are actually quite pretty)
Other
  • I would have no idea about the politics that go on in an ice rink. This would be a wonderful thing!
  • I would never have the confidence to try something new no matter what people think of me for doing it.
  • I wouldn't fall down so much.


All in all, I think skating's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment