Thursday 24 February 2011

Rink of discontent

An ice rink is a predominantly female, competitve, time pressured, expensive environment.  I suppose it's not all that surprising that there's more drama in an ice rink than Albert Square at times! But at the same time, for the coaches it's also a workplace, and there needs to be a professional attitude. I think it's when the professionalism starts to slide that the worst problems occur.

So what do you do when you can cut the tension in the air with a toepick?

Option 1
Find out everything you possibly can from everyone you know (including your hairdressers dogsitter who once went out with a hockey player). Then repeat everything you found out to everyone else, making sure to add in extra juicy bits to keep them coming back for more. Don't worry about whether it's true or not, it's entertaining right?

Option 2
Keep out of it altogether. Refuse to listen to a negative word from anyone about anyone or anything. Stick your fingers in your ears and sing "lalalala" as loudly as possibly whenever anyone speaks to you in case they're going to bitch about someone else.

Option 3
Hear everything. Take it all in. Make your own judgements and act on them without compromising yours or your skaters integrity. Don't repeat anything anyone else tells you.

Option 4
Struggle to balance everything. Is it worth compromising your skater's chance for that solo in the show in the interests of their future in the sport? Can you really believe everything your coach/that SkateMum/your skater/other skaters are telling you? Keep your head down but can't help hearing things you'd rather not know. Defend your friends but find yourself making enemies you never intended to.


I believe that most people will fall into Option 4. Its HARD, especially for parents, to know who to believe when they have conflicting information. It's hard to make a decision you know may have negative consequences. It's hard to speak up. Adult skaters have less to lose. Well, maybe not less, but whatever we lose, it's us that loses it, not our child.

Me? I am loyal to my coach and my friends. I can't say I never gossip, but I don't make up lies, and I don't gossip with anyone and everyone, I share my views with people who have similar views. I never say a bad word about my coach who I adore. I have complained about issues that have affected me and those I love. I have also smiled and been polite to people I would rather punch in the face. I try to balance it. It's a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment