Saturday 29 January 2011

Repeat indefinately

There are some phrases that every figure skating coach says at least fifty times a day. It's because you can always have MORE or BETTER in skating. You can skate forwards? Great. Now you just need more extension, more knee bend, more flow, better edges, no toe pushing, arm position, hand position, head up, smile, don't lean forward. You get it? I can skate round the rink chatting without thinking about it. But it's not proper stroking, that takes concentration as I think about all that other stuff.

  • Knee bend - skating is all about the knee bend. You need it for everything (except spirals). "Sit into it" is a phrase I hear all the time. It's to try and make you bend your knees but not lean forward. And if you do it, you'll be more stable and secure on your edges. Straight legs mean it's too easy to tip forwards on backwards, you won't get a good push and your edges won't be deep or controlled.
  • Push! - pushing equals speed equals terror, for me at least. Not that I don't love going fast, I do, I just can't do anything when I'm going fast. When I'm going forwards, I do a skiddy thing with one or both feet to slow down. When I'm going backwards, I drag my toepick. Much to the frustration of my coach! So I hear "get off your toepick" on a daily basis!
  • Arms - If you thought skating was just about your feet, think again! If your arms are in the wrong position, you'll make everything harder for yourself. Even if it's just "arms out to the side" for basic skating. When it comes to turns, your arms lead you into the turn and check the rotation as you exit. I have issues with the checking part. For jumps, your arms help you get height, and then balance on the landing. And then it comes to programs when you have to do pretty things with your arms as well as worry about your feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment